|Born||April 1 2014|
|Raw feeding type||Mix of raw|
|Age started on raw||4 years|
|Live||Riverdale Park, MD, USA|
I fed my dog a mix of kibble and table scraps for about two years. I switched to Vital raw and she gained weight on that. The vet told me that the raw diet is not good for dogs. So, I switched back to kibble and table scraps. Then last summer she got quite ill. I thought it was because I had black mold in my basement. she stayed with my parents while I remediated the basement. When she returned she was healthy. Then in the spring she began getting sick again and I realized it was allergies (still thought maybe she was allergic to mold). A new vet checked and told me she had had Ehrlichia. He told me she may have problems with her kidneys later in life. He gave me allergy pills for her, but I wanted to do more. A colleague told me about the raw diet. I started researching that and decided to switch both of my dogs to raw. It's been a learning process. They are definitely happier and healthier and I believe it is helping with the allergy issues. But I have made mistakes. I didn't realize the importance of balancing calcium and phosphorus until recently and I give them a peanut butter treat every day. Raja has been showing allergy symptoms again recently. I stopped the peanut butter treats a few days ago and started adding calcium to her raw diet(actually it is more like a rare diet since I cook the meat lightly. I also add organ meat and green tripe, sometimes eggs). To combat the allergies, I was giving kefir every morning with the food for the last couple of weeks, but have stopped that as well as I am afraid I might be overdoing that. I feed grocery store bought meat. Canned organ meat and green tripe from a pet food company. I also feed them Honest kitchen dehydrated raw food.